Today we will be looking at two of the leading fitness wearables on the market. Fitbit Inc. is one of the most talked-about smart tracker brands. Founded in 2007, they have launched activity tracker after activity tracker and to date have over 6 different smartwatches and trackers to choose from.
Knowing what Fitbit fitness tracker to purchase isn’t always easy when there are so many to choose from, as well as which version is the best? All of your questions will be answered here.
I will be determining if Fitbit Charge 2 or the Fitbit Charge 3 is better by looking at each one individually and breaking things down according to their best features. Some features will be the same and others won’t, it’s all about working out what is best for you, so let’s begin.
Table of Contents
Fitbit Charge 2 Heart Rate + Fitness Wristband
- Mobile Phone Connection
- There is no need to keep your phone in your hand at the gym throughout the workout. Fitbit Charge 2 will show you who is trying to call you without having to look at your phone. You may answer and reject calls through the device too.
- Alarm Clock System
- Something called a ‘silent alarm’ is becoming a bigger and bigger trend. Gone are the days where you had to wake up in a shocking hurry to an annoying sound. The Charge 2 vibrates softly to wake you gently.
- GPS Mapping
- If you aren’t a big fan of the gym and outdoor sports are more your cup of tea, then you are going to love this feature. You can now keep track of where you are in your running route along with how long it has taken you to get to a particular point. Great for post-workout evaluation.
- Altitude and Temperature Maximums
- Your smart fitness wristband works at a maximum altitude of 30,000 feet and at temperatures up to 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Those are some serious numbers, so the likelihood is that your Charge 2 will be able to accompany you on many hikes and expeditions.
- Battery Life
- Enjoy up to five consecutive days’ worth of battery life after every charge.
- Heart Rate Calculating and Zoning
Did you know about heart rate zones? Fitbit Charge 2 educates its users about what their optimum fat burning, cardio and peak heart rate is.
- Automatic Fitness tracking
Whenever you are wearing the fitness band your data is being collected for analysis later. You won’t need to manually turn on or off a tracking mode since it is all done for you.
- The bands are replicable. Mix and match colors for every occasion. The band transforms from a sporty looking device to something sleeker and stylish in one change
- The heart rate monitor is very accurate
- You will automatically get a fitness level score. Watch your score increase as your fitness improves
- Fun and motivating graphics are displayed on screen
- There is no pausing feature that can be used when taking a break during the workouts. So if you decide to turn off the activity you will have to start the workout all over again on the fitness band
- It is very hard to see the screen in bright sunlight
Fitbit Charge 3 Fitness Activity Tracker
- Clock Faces
- You have different stylish clock faces to choose from. You will have to go to the Fitbit app and style your device from there.
- Mobile Phone Notifications
- Your smart fitness wristband can act as a second phone. The two sync together and you can choose, if you wish, to see your phone notifications pop up on your wristband screen or not.
- Activity Tracking
Similar to the Charge 2, the Charge 3 also automatically tracks your activity whenever the device is on your wrist. TOP TIP: You can tell the device which wrist you are wearing it and the watch will provide a more accurate reading.
- Silent Alarms
Alarms are not limited to help you wake up in the morning. You can also use them as reminders to do chores.
- Battery Usage
Enjoy a whole seven days’ worth of battery, and if you don’t sync your phone to your wristband then it can sometimes be even more.
- Fitness Status Updates
You don’t need to go into the app on your phone to see your fitness statistics for the day. There is a quick viewing option on the wristband.
- Water resistant, finally a fitness band that is waterproof
- Improved battery life
- The display face is much larger than previous models
- Very easy to change the strap
- There is no GPS tracking on the fitness band
- With no music controls on this device, all access is through your phone which is inconvenient during a workout
Winner – Fitbit Charge 3
Although the Charge 2 has little extras like GPS tracking, the accuracy of the Charge 3 makes it better.
The heart rate monitoring is more precise with the Charge 3 and over all will give you better data. Having correct fitness data is key to putting together a plan. When you know where your fitness level is at all stages of the process will aid your progress.
The design of the Charge 3 is much better, having a display that is about 40% larger than the Charge 2 makes it easier to use especially during workouts.